Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Finding Me

I found the real me.

We've all heard of people "trying to find themselves." I think I've actually done it by simply letting go of who others either wanted me to be or mistakenly thought I was. I embraced the freedom to be myself.

It was there all the time -- or rather, I was.

Practicing yoga at a beautiful studio has allowed me to really open up to who I really am. And by beautiful, I don't mean physically beautiful, though it is very nice. I mean spiritually beautiful. People who practice yoga seem to be non-judgmental, friendly, loving and kind. The beauty of their souls engulf me when I walk in the door. And if I'm a little gassy, I just ask someone to light a stick of incense. Where else can you do that?

Then there are two groups of women I meet with at church. The Sunday morning group is mostly women in their 30s who have young children or teens and a few of us empty-nesters. The Wednesday evening group is much more diverse, with women of all ages. Between these two groups I have been able to open myself up be accepted. No pretending, no holding back -- what they see is what they get. AND, I'm allowing myself to SING during church (when everyone else is singing, of course; not at inappropriate times). I do feel a bit sorry for anyone within hearing distance b/c I cannot sing on key. "A Joyful Noise" is what you get when you sit near me. It's in the Bible!

No comments: